MHA TERO/Energy Complex - 3rd Floor
305 4th Avenue, Suite 3100
New Town, ND 58763
Located South of the Tribal Administration Building
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 4:30PM
Phone: (701) 627-5154
FAX: (701) 627-5105
MHA Energy Staff
Tribal Realty Specialist
Dia Dijish Wana Lockwood
Shawn Paul Grady
Tribal Realty Specialist
MHA Energy Organizational Chart
MHA Energy Division will manage all Natural Resources through professional mentorship, responsible development, communication and education; while committing to environmental awareness and cultural values that ensure sovereignty for generations to come.
MHA Energy Division will promote accountability to the members of the MHA Nation and environment through transparency and professional development while adhering to traditional values in order to protect and safeguard natural resources.
MHA Energy Division will provide the highest standard of excellence to the people while demonstrating:
- Work Ethic
- Social Responsibility
- Leading by Example
- Respect to Others
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Monitoring Oil & Gas Activity (Leasing, Permitting, Drilling, Production & Federal Regulations)
- Monitor all exploration and production activities of all Oil & Gas Companies operating within the Exterior Boundaries of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, including mitigations for protection of other resources including environmental, endangered species, cultural resources and reclamation.
- Provide Tribal Business Council with expertise and advice on the technical aspects, economics, environmental issues, and administration of agreements and leases under specific statues, regulations, and Indian minerals owners imposed constraints.
- Provide Documentation and maintain files on all drilling and related operations, to include production, abandonment, environmental and compliance.
- Collaborate with Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Natural Resource Revenue, Office of Special Trustee, US Fish & Wild Life, Environmental Protection Agency and North Dakota Industrial Commission agencies.
- Provide liaison services to Allottees and hold community updates to the tribal members on oil & gas activity within the exterior boundaries of the Fort Berthold Reservation.
- Provide training to all Energy Department personnel in Realty, Production, Royalty, Environmental, and federal Indian Lands.
OIL & GAS COMPLIANCE & SPILL RESPONSE
- Inspect and investigate Tribal Oil & Gas exploration and production facilities and operations and document all inspections in the field activity database.
- Enforce tribal and federal laws rules through inspections, investigations, and complaint response related to pollution control & environmental protection.
- Work in joint effort with Federal Agencies with Environmental remediation efforts for Hazardous Spills and perform follow-up inspections to ensure compliance with guidelines and instructions.
- Assist in compiling historical data of seismic operations, preparations of maps and related records keeping, and conducting research files.
- Monitor Oil & Gas drilling and Production on Tribal Mineral Interest
TRIBAL ROYALTY & PRODUCTION MONITORING
- Track production volumes, sales volumes, total dollar sales, average price per-unit sols, royalties due, and allowances for the Tribal Well Interest by well API number (and lease/IMDA number, if data and reporting formats allow) for all petroleum exterior boundaries of the Fort Berthold Reservation.
- Compare corresponding production volume and sales volumes by well API number.
- Compare monthly royalties due according to ONRR reports to monthly distributions provided by OST.
- Discuss discrepancies and unusual trends in the data with the appropriate lease operator, federal agency (BIA, BLM, ONRR, and/or OST) and TAT TBC on a MONTHLY BASIS to identify reasons for unusual trends and to resolve reporting deficiencies.
- Migrate MHA Royalty data to a relational database and provide securing online access to MHA Energy Department and Tribal Business Council.
FY 2017 GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Continue to monitor all exploration and production activities of all Oil & Gas companies operating within Fort Berthold Boundaries.
- Continue to inspect and investigate tribal Oil & Gas exploration and production facilities and operations and document all inspections in a field activity database with an approved MOU/MOA with BLM, NDIC, and BIA.
- Continue to work in joint effort with federal Agencies with environmental remediation efforts for hazardous spills and perform follow-up inspections to ensure compliance is within guidelines and instructions.
- Recruitment of Oil & Gas Safety Officer and additional Enforcement Inspectors that will be knowledgeable in Federal Indian Oil & Gas Regulations & Permitting, OSHA and Haz-Wopper qualified and has expert knowledge of Oil & Gas production facilities.
- Recruitment of an Oil & Gas Pipeline Analyst/Inspector that will monitor all pipelines for construction, safety and compliance standards. Also to create an Oil & Gas Pipeline Authority for the Fort Berthold.
- Develop a Tribal OSHA program, to implement Tribal Programs Compliance.
- Continue to track production volumes, sales volumes, and total dollar sales, average price per-unit sold, royalty due, and allowances for the Tribal Well Interest.
- Have fully Developed MHA Royalty Relation & Spatial database providing online access to MHA Energy Department and Tribal Business Council.
- Develop an Oil & Gas Auditing Division to monitor Tribal Royalties and Production.
TRIBAL MINERALS INTEREST
NDIC FBIR WELL PRODUCTION
- NDIC FBIR Well Production August 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production July 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production May 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production April 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production March 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production February 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production January 2014
- NDIC FBIR Well Production December 2013
FBIR WELL COUNT
MHA ENERGY DIVISION RESOLUTIONS
- Resolution No. 17-117-FWF "Approval of an Updated Fee Structure for the MHA Nation Energy Division to Regulate and Oversee Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Activities"
- Resolution No. 15-045-LKH "Establishing a Procedure for the Approval of Leases, Rights of Way, Setback Variances and Permissions to Survey on Tribal Land"
- Resolution No. 11-144-VJB "Missouri River Resources Right of First Refusal to Mineral Interests of the Three Affiliated Tribes"
- Resolution No. 11-075-VJB "Interim Regulation Governing the Disposal of Waste and Other Hazardous Substances Associated with the Exploration or Production of Oil and Gas on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation"
- Resolution No. 12-087-VJB "The Missouri River, Badlands and Sacred Sites Protection Act"
- Resolution No. 12-103-VJB "The Oil and Gas Production Structure Setback Act"
- Resolution No. 12-139-VJB "Amending the Missouri River and Badlands Protection Act to Allow Variances upon Recommendations by the Tribal Energy Office"
- Resolution No. 13-049-VJB "A Directive for all Oil and Gas Drilling Companies on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation to develop remediation plans for oil and gas drilling waste and to direct the Tribal Environmental Department to develop standards for the regulation for the remediation of oil and gas drilling wastes"
- Resolution No. 13-070-VJB "Regulation of Flaring of Gas, Imposition of Tax, Payment of Royalties and Other Purposes"
- Amended Resolution No. 13-071-VJB "Requirement for High Definition Video Surveillance on Tribal Well Sites on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation"
- Resolution No. 13-109-VJB "Establishment of the Three Affiliated Tribes Standardized Minimum Rates for Oil and Gas Lease Bonus, Royalties and Road and Pipeline Easements"
- Amended Resolution No. 13-126-VJB "Amending the Oil and Gas Production Structure Setback Act"
- MHA Energy Division Accidental Release or Spill Requirements
- Conditions of Approval Missouri River Resolution 12-103
- Resolution No. 14-054-VJB "Requiring Closed Loop Drilling Systems within the Reservation Boundaries for All Approved and Future Wells and APDs for the Management of Drilling Fluids and Disposal of Drill Cuttings at an Approved and Licensed Disposal Site"
- Resolution No. 14-055-VJB "Requiring all Commercial Vehicles Transporting Produced Fluids, Except for Fresh Water, on or Across Tribal Lands Must Have a GPS Unit Installed With an Active Monitoring and Tracking System"
- Resolution No. 14-089-VJB "Approval of the MHA Nation Application for Right of Way and Use of Rights-of-Way, the MHA Nation Pipeline Right-of-Way Terms and Conditions, and the Section D. on Pipeline Right-of-Way Fees"
- Resolution No. 18-212-FWF "Amendment to Resolution No. 17-117-FWF entitled 'Approval of a Fee Structure for the MHA Nation Energy division to Regulate and Oversee Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Activities."
All Resolutions are in Adobe PDF format. If you do not have Adobe Reader download it here.
- MHA Energy Division Handbook
- TAT Environmental Code
- Control of Gas & Oil Resources Chapter 38-8
- North Dakota Administrative Code Chapter 43-02-03
- Three Affiliated Tribes Flaring Task Force Recommendations Report